Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Interior Gem

Spring 2013:

I'll try to make a long story short.  I wanted to hang a tachometer beneath the planned radio dashboard extension, but didn't want an off-the-shelf eyesore which wouldn't fit the interior.  It needed to be something period correct, that suited the car, and preferably was quite large.  After scouring the Internet for after market options with complete disappointment, I decided to go custom.  Of all the instrument panel intended Tachs I looked at from 50's and 60's cars my favorite was a Veigel Tach out of a 1952 Porsche 356.  Though it's intended to be a cable driven instrument, there was a rare electronic conversion kit made for a brief period of time.  So, my intent was to locate and buy this rare Tach, restore it, and do an electronic conversion.  Despite how expensive this plan was, I was absolutely determined.  Luckily, one of the first places I called to try and locate one (after coming up empty handed on the web) was North Hollywood Speedometer, a European classic instrument restoration shop.  After describing what I was after, the German old timer on the phone said he could build a handmade replica for less than the cost of an old dilapidated original!!!  Though this wasn't exactly cheap either, it would be hand made, and have modern electrics.   Jackpot!!

This is the model.



 After having the gauge made, I turned to figuring out a mounting system.  It would have to be custom; also hand made.  I drew up some sketches and contacted Chris Coddington who had in the mean time been working on a set of custom wheels for the project (which I'll post about later).  Chris pointed me at a machinest by the name of Mike Burgess, near Orange, CA.  Mike is an independent machinist who takes odd jobs out of his garage when his interest is peaked.  After meeting with Mike and going over some details, I knew he was the man for the job.    

First Sketch


What Mike created after tweaking my original plans (BRILLIANT!!).









 All painted up, it looks awesome!!  Mike,, if you ever have a look here, thanks for an amazing piece!!  This thing is sure to be the subject of many conversations.  Thanks again!!





No comments:

Post a Comment