Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Collecting Some Great Parts

For some reason every time I start in on figuring out the details for one specific area of the car, research, my taste, and creative ideas end up leading me to the most rare and expensive option I could possibly want.


This is a beautifully restored example of a Blaupunkt Koblenz de Luxe radio from Radio Museum, a small vintage radio restoration shop in Spain.  I had to have it because the dimensions and design match that of the radio which belongs in my car, but it's an upgraded version which went in more expensive European cars of the same era (BMW, Alfa Romeo, etc).  This one with stainless steal knobs, lots of chrome touches and black buttons will go perfectly with my plans for the interior.  The shop owner in Spain restored the electrics inside and fitted an MP3 jack to the back.  Now my digital music will be able to play through this fantastic old radio!!

BUMPERS:  I've always liked the style of Type 3 bumpers fitted with Flat 4 Over-Rider kits, but felt the rubber bumper guards made things look a bit disproportioned.  It's too much bumper for such a little car.  I wanted them to look more like the Beetle kind, which are all chrome, well proportioned, and befitting of the car.  So,,, this is what they looked like before I set about customizing them further.  Remember what I said about expensive ideas?..



I sourced set of NOS vertical guards and had them modified to suit the overriders, eliminating the cop-car-looking rubber bumpers.




After a re-chrome everything came out looking pretty slick!!

1 comment:

  1. I am putting together a notchback, the previous owner was running it with no bumpers, but the stock look bumpers with the overriders looks amazing, I am trying to put this same look together, for the front and back. good luck on the build.

    ReplyDelete