Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Wheels!!

Spring 2013:

Another piece of the project with lots of R&D involved is the custom wheel and brake setup.  I wanted to run something period correct, something Porsche-VW appropriate, but also different, unique, and more interesting than what's found on a majority of custom VWs.  Tough criteria I know, but I thought it achievable by customizing a set of original Porsche 356 steelies to one-off sizes.  My original idea was to stretch the faces and customize the off-sets in 16" rims.  I pictured it as a subtle, but very cool modification you'd have to look twice at to notice.  In my search, I stumbled upon a much more practical way of achieving exactly what I was after.  Below are a one-off set of Porsche 356A Model Alloy Replicas.  16x6" w/ a 3.5" offset for the back and 16x4.5 w/ a 1.5" offset for the front.





The plan is to run them without hubcaps over a 4 wheel, CSP, 5x205 disc brake conversion set up.  This will give the car an Outlaw theme and make it look as though it's still running drum brakes.  You won't be able to tell that its been converted to disc until you're standing right next to it looking through the rim.  Below are some pics of a trial suspension set up.  Picture the rear end 1" lower and the front end 2.5" lower, which is what I ended up happy with.



    


One of the last items to be done on the car after all the adjustments, alignment, and test rides have are complete, will be to paint the hubs in high gloss black.   Black lug nuts, on a polished rim, over black hubs should look pretty slick!!

No comments:

Post a Comment